Friday, May 27, 2005

Music Baton

So Adinahaes sends me a musical baton, and in doing so, forces me to have a hiatus interruptus. Total Volume of Music files on my computer: 1.58 GB The Last CD I bought was: Safe in a Crazy World by Corrinne May Song playing right now: Star Wars ROTS: Battle of the Heros (John Williams outdoes himself!) 5 songs I listen to a lot or that mean a lot to me: I'm So Happy I Can't Stop Crying by Sting Be Thou My Vision by various people Symphony no. 9 in E minor, op.95 'From the New World' by Dvorak Come What May by Nicole Kidman and Obi-wan Kenobi Wide Open Spaces by Dixie Chicks 5 people to whom I'm passing the baton: Alison Hidi Hui Chieh Vic Vivien The Dvorak piece is the first CD that my father bought for $40 at a shop at Raffles City many decades ago. And at that time, we didn't have a CD player at home. But my dad reasoned that if we bought the CD, we'd naturally get a CD player soon enough. He was quite right. The Sting piece is actually a song about divorce, forgiveness, joint custody, astronomy, babysitting, ice cream and parks on Sundays. It's also a country song, which is nice. There's also another 'real' country version, a duet with Sting and Toby Keith. Be Thou My Vision is my favourite hymn. Another favourite hymn is When I Survey The Wondrous Cross. They don't make hymns like they used to. But then again, King Solomon also says, it's ridiculous to think about 'the good old days'. Come What May is a song that me and my ex-girlfriend both liked. It's a lovely love song. I think Obi-wan should break into song more often. A Jedi Master who sings, who would have thought?! The Force is strong in their song. Wide Open Spaces is by the cool Chicks. The song talks about a state of mind I try to have, especially in an environment that doesn't naturally encourage wide open spaces. Now, back to hibernation.

3 comments:

Huichieh said...

Be Thou My Vision is a great hymn, especially in the usual haunting Irish melody. Have you heard the newer John Rutter arrangement? You can sample it here. You are absolutely right, they sure don't write hymns like they use to. Well, actually they still do, just not as well known.

jeffyen said...

Interesting, it has a different melody...ooh, and there's also The Lord Bless You and Keep You, very very nice...

Huichieh said...

That's what I like about the guy--he sometimes takes a traditional hymn and put new melody to it, and in many cases, the hymn actually sound more 'right' (as an expression of the words) than the older melody. In the case of "Vision", I like both the older and the Rutter melodies.