Monday, April 25, 2005

Lest We Forget

Today is ANZAC Day when Australians and New Zealanders honour their fallen in WWI (the War to end all wars), WWII, Korea, Vietnam and other conflicts. I think the two most noble vocations that we have are those who give lives (doctors) and those who are prepared to give way theirs (soldiers). They do so in the hope that their wars are just, and their enemies worthy. Just wars seem to be rarer nowadays. We owe it to our soldiers to put them in the line of fire only as a last resort. Lest we forget.

2 comments:

Ali said...

I so have no idea why they choose the 25th April as ANZAC Day. I know, it's when the troops landed on ANZAC Cove (in Turkey) and many many of them died. But they died because they landed in the wrong place!! Long story.

But I do respect the soldiers (I mean, we could be occupied by the Japanese right now if it weren't for them). I think we only have one left from the first world war? Correct me if I'm wrong.

jeffyen said...

We only have one left? One left of what? What are you talking about Alison? Are you doing your assignment? LOL