Tuesday, July 19, 2005

The Singapore I Want

Over at the SPUG Forums, there's an interesting thread going on titled The Singapore I Want. I said,
The Singapore I want: Is a Singapore where all the folks can move out the MRT before the folks outside start to walk in.
For some reason, I believe that if we can do this, Singapore would be an entirely different place compared to now. Anyway, I've said it before, but I'll say it again. Immediately increase your quality of life by intentionally holding yourself back from going into the train when others are rushing in. Then, slowly stroll in. I've always tried this when it's feasible to do so, and the feeling's heavenly...

7 comments:

Ali said...

Didn't you post something about this before? And did an experiment in Perth where you walked in first, to see if everybody would follow you?

Anyway, here's another tip:

Thank the bus driver!!!!!

Anonymous said...

"Immediately increase your quality of life by intentionally holding yourself back from going into the train when others are rushing in. Then, slowly stroll in"

That...that sounds illegal in Singapore. Away heathen. Thou shalt not corrupt with your decadent western ways.

Heavenly Sword said...

The last para is very funny :)

Another suggestion related to MRT:

Commuters should not cross their legs when the cabin is packed with people (I have had my pants dirtied by the shoes of these inconsiderate 'cross-leggers' so many times; and even after they stain your pants, they won't even bother to say sorry). I really wonder why they cannot sit properly...we should have a campaign called "Sit Properly!Singapore"...

jeffyen said...

Yes Alison, I've added the link. Thanking the bus driver?! Anyone who does that, in the Singapore context, would probably be sent to the asylum. No one does that around these places. I've the habit of saying hi to the bus driver, but usually no words come out of my opened mouth...

Oikono, yes, I know it's illegal. But laws are made by man, and they can be changed by man. Civil disobedience is just the thing we need! (Hmm... maybe I can go apply for a permit to conduct such a course...)

Heavenly, if there's such a campaign, I'll know who's responsible for thinking it up. LOL

Wandie said...

Clean up after your dog.

Jeff, do you player poker?

jeffyen said...

I don't play poker, but I enjoy it when Data play with the rest of the crew...

Huichieh said...

Say hi! to the bus driver? I remember doing a bit of that as a school boy. But mostly because after a while some of the bus uncles recognized me as that boy who always miss his stop because he was either reading or asleep...